Melinda's favourites book montage

The Mark of Athena
The Son of Neptune
The Lost Hero
The Last Olympian
The Battle of the Labyrinth
The Titan's Curse
The Sea of Monsters
The Lightning Thief
Throne of Glass
City of Glass
The Red Pyramid
City of Ashes
City of Bones
The Golden Door
The Farseekers
Obernewtyn
The Poison Diaries
Mockingjay
Catching Fire
The Hunger Games


Melinda's favorite books »

Tuesday 12 March 2013

Review: Rowan of Rin (Rowan of Rin #1) by Emily Rodda

Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Bravest heart will carry on when sleep is death, and hope is gone.Rowan doesn't believe he has a brave heart. But when the river that supports his village of Rin runs dry, he must join a dangerous journey to its source in the forbidden Mountain. To save Rin, Rowan and his companions must conquer not only the Mountain's many tricks, but also the fierce dragon that lives at its peak.
  Rowan of Rin (Rowan of Rin, #1)
This was a sweet, easy read. I would definitely class it as a children’s story, but it was still a really enjoyable read. I loved the world that Rodda created. Despite it being a rather small book, the world still had depth and we learnt some of the history. I loved how compressed the story was. It was fast paced and yet it was still descriptive and detailed. Rodda did a great job of keeping the story flowing and being very concise with the descriptions. I particularly liked the little riddles in the book, that weren’t only warnings and instructions for the explorers, but clues for the readers in what was to come.

I particularly enjoyed the messages that were carried through this book. I really enjoyed the exploration that to be brave you also need to have fear. It looked at how you can only be brave if you face your fears. The village of Rin praise strong people who are not afraid, yet when the strongest and fiercest of them all were tested they failed and the weakest and most afraid of them all succeeded. It also looked at how humans treat people who we think are different to us, that we may think someone is inferior because they were brought up differently or act differently to us, and it showed how often we are wrong.

I really enjoyed the plot. It was at times a little bit predictable, but I think if was in the age group that it targeted I wouldn’t have found it so. I enjoyed the quest and idea that each person was tested and forced to confront their fears. I loved each test and how they differed, and I have to admit I know where I would have failed. I liked that the solution to the main problem of the book wasn’t through violence but through healing.

I really enjoyed this book, the ending was really touching and I will definitely check out the other books of this series. I give this book 4/5 stars.

I read this book for the Take Control March 2013, 2013 TBR Pile and Australian Women Writers 2013 reading challenges. Click the pictures to find out more!

Take Control of Your TBR pileawwbadge_2013

Mel.

Up next: Review – The Silver Door by Emily Rodda 

No comments:

Post a Comment