Melinda's favourites book montage

The Mark of Athena
The Son of Neptune
The Lost Hero
The Last Olympian
The Battle of the Labyrinth
The Titan's Curse
The Sea of Monsters
The Lightning Thief
Throne of Glass
City of Glass
The Red Pyramid
City of Ashes
City of Bones
The Golden Door
The Farseekers
Obernewtyn
The Poison Diaries
Mockingjay
Catching Fire
The Hunger Games


Melinda's favorite books »

Friday 15 March 2013

The Silver Door (The Three Doors Trilogy 2) by Emily Rodda

Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Three magic Doors you here behold.
Time to choose: Wood? Silver? Gold?
Listen to your inner voice, And you will make the wisest choice. 
Rye is willing to risk everything to save his brothers, lost in the terrifying world beyond the Wall of Weld. Sonia is determined to find and destroy the Enemy who is sending the ferocious flying beasts called skimmers to ravage the city. The companions barely escaped with their lives during their first thrilling adventure beyond the golden Door. But they won't give up. 
Their desperate quest must continue. Deep in the ancient heart of the Keep of Weld, two more doors await them.
The Silver Door (The Three Doors Trilogy)
This was a great follow up to The GoldenDoor. It was great to see the story and characters develop. I felt that the world that Rye, Dirk and Sonia entered going through the second door was much more elaborate and detailed than the one through the gold door. I felt that this story was a little darker than the first. The world was more desolate and destroyed and there was an ominous presence of evil there that I can’t wait to explore even more in the third book.

I enjoyed how this story built on the first, with underlying characters and themes. I especially enjoyed the development of the relationships, in particular the different relationships between Dirk, Rye and Sonia. I also liked viewing the difference in the brotherly relationships between Dirk, Rye and Sholto. I really enjoyed Sholto as a character. In The Golden Door, I didn’t particularly like him because I found him to be cold and uncaring, but in this book you saw that most of that was a façade. I love his cleverness and his ability to think quickly in a dangerous situation.

I found the new characters introduced in the story interesting. The difference between the people of the Scour, the people from Nanny Pride’s farm and the employers of The Master was interesting to see contrasted. I loved the people from Nanny Pride’s farm, even if at times desperation made them ruthless. I felt that they were just trying to keep their family together and do their best to survive. I also really liked bones from the Scour, even if he was creepy at times. I found that the provided a little humour to the story when it was needed.

The magical creatures in this story were definitely a lot more menacing than the first. The thought of flesh eating snails that could clean up a body in one night was slightly terrifying and the serpent birds are not a creature that I would ever want to cross paths with. As always, the skimmers sound terrifying, particularly with their new features.

Reading this story has definitely made me want to read The Third Door. It was more captivating than The Golden Door and I give it 4 ½ stars!

I read this book for the Take Control March 2013, 2013 TBR Pile and the Australian Women Writers 2013  reading challenges.

Take Control of Your TBR pileawwbadge_2013

Mel.

Up next: Seven on Saturday - Favourite Villains 

No comments:

Post a Comment