Melinda's favourites book montage

The Mark of Athena
The Son of Neptune
The Lost Hero
The Last Olympian
The Battle of the Labyrinth
The Titan's Curse
The Sea of Monsters
The Lightning Thief
Throne of Glass
City of Glass
The Red Pyramid
City of Ashes
City of Bones
The Golden Door
The Farseekers
Obernewtyn
The Poison Diaries
Mockingjay
Catching Fire
The Hunger Games


Melinda's favorite books »

Saturday 2 March 2013

Seven on Saturday

Before I start Seven on Saturday, I have a confession to make. I did not succeed in the Short Story Summer Reading Challenge because I didn’t read The Merlin Chronicles by Mike Ashley in time for it to count. This is why you didn’t get the review on Thursday. I still haven’t finished that book, and I probably won’t for a little while now so don’t expect the review anytime soon.


Ok, now on to Seven on Saturday. This week’s prompt is books that I thought I wouldn’t like but I did. I don’t know why on earth I picked this topic because it was awfully hard to come up with one. So here are the books that I thought I wouldn’t like but I did.

1 .Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta
This was a book that we had to read for school. I didn’t think I would like it that much because it wasn’t the sort of book that I would normally read but when I did read it I found that I could relate to it. I loved Marchetta’s writing style and I loved the characters.

2. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone by J.K Rowling
I was given Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone for a Christmas present when I would have been somewhere around 8. At the time I was into horse books and not really any other type so I thought that there was no way that I was going to like it. It probably took me four years to actually pick it up and read it but when I did I fell in love with it and the series straight away.

3. Maximum Ride by James Paterson
This was another Christmas present that was given to me the by the same person who had given me Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, so I probably should have learnt by now. I was probably around 17 when I got this book and I thought that maybe I was a little old for it. I also wasn’t sure that I wanted to read about genetic experiments but I started it the day after I got it because I had nothing else to read. I then asked for the second book for my birthday.

4. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
This was another book that I had to read for school and again I thought I wouldn’t like it because I thought that it would be too confronting for me. I think that is one of the reasons I did like it in the end, although I am not sure that like is quite the right word. I liked the themes and how they made you think about just how good your life is and how bad other people’s are.

5. I’d Tell You I Love You but then I’d have to Kill You by Ally Carter
I picked this book up for $5 at my local supermarket and I didn’t think that I would like it because again I thought it would be too young for me. I was 20 this time and really thought I should be reading more mature books. I picked it up one night when I wanted an easy read and I really enjoyed it.

6. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
This is another book I thought I wouldn’t like because I didn’t generally read books like it. I don’t particularly like romance books and I had never really read any books like it before. When I read it I was kicking myself that I hadn’t read any Jane Austen books before.

7. The Fault in our Stars by John Green
I don’t normally read books that are “real world”, especially books that have issues that people around me face because I often use reading as a tool to escape. However, I decided to pick up this book because I had heard some good reviews and one of my friends really enjoyed it. I loved the emotions that this book provoked and I will definitely read more John Green books in the future.

Mel.

Up next: Wrap-up/Preview

No comments:

Post a Comment