Melinda's favourites book montage

The Mark of Athena
The Son of Neptune
The Lost Hero
The Last Olympian
The Battle of the Labyrinth
The Titan's Curse
The Sea of Monsters
The Lightning Thief
Throne of Glass
City of Glass
The Red Pyramid
City of Ashes
City of Bones
The Golden Door
The Farseekers
Obernewtyn
The Poison Diaries
Mockingjay
Catching Fire
The Hunger Games


Melinda's favorite books »

Friday 17 May 2013

Review: Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

Synopsis (from Goodreads)
In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street—and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa’s powers for his own dark ends.
With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister’s war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move—and that one of their own has betrayed them. 
Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will—the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do? 
As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.
Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2)
Clockwork Prince is the second book of The Infernal Devices, here being my review for the first. I really enjoyed going back into the world of shadow hunters and discovering more about Tessa, Will, Jem and the other characters.

Firstly, I have to say that Cassandra Clare really knows how to write endings. The ending of Clockwork Prince was very much a surprise for me and had me yelling, “Wait! What?” which probably surprised my housemates. I am really eager now to get my hands on a copy of Clockwork Princess as soon as I possibly can.

I kind of felt that this book was kind of a fill-in book. I felt like there was no major event in the story just an accumulation of minor ones. I felt that the book is here to tie-up loose plot ends of Clockwork Angel, and to set-up the scene for Clockwork Princess. In saying that though, I still really liked the story and we did learn a lot about the different characters. The plot wasn’t predictable and it didn’t feel slow either, I just felt that a major event was missing.

I love the complexity of the world that Cassandra Clare has created. It is so vivid and convincing and half the time I feel like it could exist. It is very easy to picture the world that Tessa is walking through and I feel that there is so much detail about it, yet none of it takes away from the pacing of the story.

I love how complex the characters are. There were many times throughout the book when I thought that I knew a character and then something would happen and I would have to change how I thought about them. I love that Tessa is not a whinny character and the she is strong and fairly independent, and quite a bit stubborn as well. I love Jem’s steadiness and loyalty, Charlotte’s kindness and Henry’s eccentricity. I think most of all I love Will’s complexity, he is broken in so many ways yet yeah manages to stay strong and loyal.

I have to say that I really like the romance. I am not a fan of love triangles, but this one is really well written. I don’t necessary like that there is a love triangle, because someone will get hurt and I don’t want that to happen, but I like that Tessa really does love both of them and how the choice is going to be very hard for her. It is one of the few love triangles that I think is well done. I also love Charlotte and Henry’s relationship. There was one scene in the book between the two that I cried reading because of the gorgeous fluff between them. I really hope that they end up happy together.

Overall, I really enjoyed the story, and I think that I have to say that I like The Infernal Devices more than The Mortal Instruments, because I feel I can connect to the characters better. I give Clockwork Prince 4/5 stars!

I read this book for the 2013 Sequel Reading Challenge.

Bout of Books read-a-thon update.
Currently Reading: Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta
Pages read of current read: 90/593
Books read so far: 2
Goal: 4 books

Mel.

Up next - Seven on Saturday - Book Worlds that I want to live in

No comments:

Post a Comment