Melinda's favourites book montage

The Mark of Athena
The Son of Neptune
The Lost Hero
The Last Olympian
The Battle of the Labyrinth
The Titan's Curse
The Sea of Monsters
The Lightning Thief
Throne of Glass
City of Glass
The Red Pyramid
City of Ashes
City of Bones
The Golden Door
The Farseekers
Obernewtyn
The Poison Diaries
Mockingjay
Catching Fire
The Hunger Games


Melinda's favorite books »

Wednesday 15 May 2013

Review: Through the Door by Jodi McIsaac

Synopsis (from Goodreads)
It’s been seven years since the love of Cedar McLeod’s life left with no forwarding address. All she has left of him are heart-wrenching memories of happier times and a beautiful six-year-old daughter, Eden. Then, one day, Eden opens her bedroom door and unwittingly creates a portal that leads to anywhere she imagines.

But they’re not the only ones who know of Eden’s gift, and soon the child mysteriously vanishes.
Desperate for answers, Cedar digs into the past and finds herself thrust into a magical world of Celtic myths, fantastical creatures, and bloody rivalries. Teaming up with the unlikeliest of allies, Cedar must bridge the gap between two worlds and hold tight to the love in her heart…or lose everything to an ancient evil.
The first in the Thin Veil series, Through the Door is a pulse-pounding adventure that takes readers across the globe and deep into the hidden realms of Celtic lore.
Through the Door



I am still not really sure how I feel like this book. I found it to be a quick and easy read, and I liked it, but I felt that it was missing something. I really enjoyed the mixture of our modern day world with Celtic and Irish mythology.

When I read the synopsis, I was immediately intrigued by the idea. I felt that it could be a really interesting story if it was executed correctly. In terms of the plot, I did feel that it was well done, but there was a certain predictability that didn’t make the read as enjoyable as it could have been. I found that I was guessing what was going to happen before it did happen and not once was I surprised by the storyline. In saying that, I still enjoyed the story, it just wasn’t as captivating as I would have liked.

As I said earlier, I really liked the Celtic and Irish Mythology that was incorporated into the story. The addition of magic and mythical beings really added to the story. I felt that the mixture of mermaids, leprechauns, druids and old gods/fairies was really well balanced.

The writing style was reasonably good. I felt that sentence structure was good and made it easy to read. I did feel that maybe things were described in too much detail, or unnecessary things were mentioned. I felt that this took away from the pacing of the story, and I often found myself skimming through the descriptions because I wanted to know what was happening in the story.

Another thing that I didn’t really like was the changing in perspectives. I was never confused by which character’s point of view I was currently reading but it made the story feel a little choppy and I felt at times that the story was jumping around different time points of the story when we changed perspective.

I also felt that I couldn’t connect the characters that well. There were times in the story when I should have felt emotion and I didn’t really feel anything and I think it was because I couldn’t relate to the characters. It may be because I have never been in the character’s shoes, but that hasn’t really stopped me from connecting before. In saying that, I did like the characters. I felt that each character was an individual and there were no unnecessary characters. I liked that despite everything she had been through, Cedar was a strong character and I also liked how twisted Nuala was.

Overall it was a good read, but not a story that I felt was memorable. I give it 3/5 stars, because I did like the story, I just feel it could have been executed better.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for a fair review.


Bout of Books read-a-thon update.
Currently Reading: Runes by Ednah Walters
Books read so far: 1
Goal: 4 books

Mel.

Up next – Review: Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment