Melinda's favourites book montage

The Mark of Athena
The Son of Neptune
The Lost Hero
The Last Olympian
The Battle of the Labyrinth
The Titan's Curse
The Sea of Monsters
The Lightning Thief
Throne of Glass
City of Glass
The Red Pyramid
City of Ashes
City of Bones
The Golden Door
The Farseekers
Obernewtyn
The Poison Diaries
Mockingjay
Catching Fire
The Hunger Games


Melinda's favorite books »

Monday 11 February 2013

Review: The Assassin and the Underworld by Sarah J. Maas

Synopsis (from Goodreads)
When the King of the Assassins gives Celaena Sardothien a special assignment that will help fight slavery in the kingdom, she jumps at the chance to strike a blow against an evil practice. The mission is a dark and deadly affair which takes Celaena from the rooftops of the city to the bottom of the sewer—and she doesn't like what she finds there. 
 The Assassin and the Underworld (Throne of Glass, #0.3)

The Assassin and the Underworld is the third Throne of Glass novella. This book was set entirely in Rifthold, unlike the first two. I really enjoyed the setting and finding more about the dynamics of the assassins.

What I liked about the book?
  • As I said, I really enjoyed learning more about the dynamics in the book. They interactions and the hierarchy were really interesting and added depth to the book. I particularly liked the interactions between Sam and Celaena and the both of them and the King of the Assassin’s.
  • I love Sam. He was so caring, despite his profession, and forgiving in regards to Celaena, despite what she had done to him.
  • I liked that we got to see more to the story than just the mission that Celaena was given. We saw her go to a party and the theater which both originally started out for the mission but it ended up more than that for her. I also liked to see her in the times that she was more feminine, gushing over presents, I felt like it was a relief to all the thoughts about the slave trades, the mission and Arobynn. I also enjoyed her playing the piano.
  • I thought that the new characters added depth to the story, particularly Lysandra. I also liked getting to know some of the older characters more and learning what drives each one a bit better.
  • I found the plot was less predictable and more original than the first two and was more intriguing as well. There were a couple of twists and turns that I didn't expect as much as I did in the last novella.

What I didn't like?
  • This is similar to the other reviews. I found the lack of description of some of the places annoying, particularly considering trinkets and clothes were described in good detail when they didn't need to be.
  • Celaena annoyed me even more in this story. She was more vain and up herself than usual and very proud. She looked down on others because of their profession, even if they had no choice in the matter, the same as she did. She also let people’s behaviour blind her to what was really going on. I found her very blind to some things going on around her, particularly in regards to Sam. It all just annoyed me a little.
Other than that I really enjoyed this book. It was entertaining and action-filled. I gave it 4/5 stars.

Mel.

Up next: Review: The Assassin and the Empire by Sarah J. Maas.

No comments:

Post a Comment