Melinda's favourites book montage

The Mark of Athena
The Son of Neptune
The Lost Hero
The Last Olympian
The Battle of the Labyrinth
The Titan's Curse
The Sea of Monsters
The Lightning Thief
Throne of Glass
City of Glass
The Red Pyramid
City of Ashes
City of Bones
The Golden Door
The Farseekers
Obernewtyn
The Poison Diaries
Mockingjay
Catching Fire
The Hunger Games


Melinda's favorite books »

Wednesday 20 February 2013

Review: Little Fur by Isobelle Carmody

First thing, I need to apologise for not getting up the review for Beautiful Creatures on Monday. I had some issues with my laptop screen and I couldn't see anything on it which meant I either had to plug it into another screen or get a new computer. I got a new laptop and I will be able to get the stuff off my old one which means that I will be posting the Beautiful Creatures review next Tuesday! Today I am going to review Little Fur by Isobelle Carmody. This review is back in the old format because I wrote it before I changed the format. 

Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Little Fur is an elf troll who lives in a secret wilderness at the heart of a great human city. She is a healer. She sings to the ancient trees that protect the small wilderness.
But one day Crow tells of humans who will come to burn the trees. To protect her home and her friends, Little Fur must venture for the first time into the dangerous human world . . .
Little Fur (The Legend of Little Fur, #1)

What I liked about the book?
  • It was interesting and I thought that the plot was unique.
  • I liked that Little Fur was part troll, part elf. It meant that she was a part of both sides and I liked that.
  • I really liked how Carmody portrayed the messages of human nature and showed how we treat the earth and the things around us. 
  • I enjoyed how the animals were portrayed. I loved that they talked and I loved how each of the different species had different personality traits. 
  • I loved the idea that Little Fur could talk to trees and I loved her connection to the earth magic. I liked that she could join her dreams and thoughts with the trees because of the earth magic. 
  • It was an interesting take on animals and how they might view us and our creations. I particularly liked the "Road Monsters".
  • It was an interesting study of human life and interactions.
What I didn't like about the book?
  • I didn't like the way Carmody had the animals speaking English incorrectly, especially when she used it to dumb down an animal.
You had to read this book remembering that it is a kids book because the writing is fairly simple and the story can be predictable at times. I give this book 4/5 stars. 

I read this book for the Australian Women Writers 2013 reading challenge.


Mel.

Up next: Throwback Thursday - Lord of the Rings


No comments:

Post a Comment